Welcome to Thematic Trails
Thematic Trails specialises in landscape interpretation guides within South-west England; (Cornwall, Devon, Jurassic coast, Dorset, Somerset, Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Cotswolds and Oxfordshire). Landscape themes include: geology, ecology, historical landscapes (urban & rural), architecture, geography and archaeology.
Thematic Trails, with clear directions and a straightforward commentary, are designed to be stimulating by posing questions of the unfolding landscape and, through guided observation and interpretation, increasing our understanding and appreciation of valued environments whilst at the same time providing a source of pleasure and recreation.
The booklets are written in a form suitable for both interested non-specialists, and those with a more direct academic interest, who may use the guides as a basis for a deeper or more formal examination of the themes introduced. In this catalogue, our own publications are supplemented by an array of recommended books which we stock, since they share our belief in the value of landscape interpretation.
You can buy anything in the catalogue direct from Thematic Trails (online or by post using the order form near the bottom of the menu). A handling charge of £1.50 is automatically added to the total and includes free postage and packing within the UK for orders of any size.
OVERSEAS CUSTOMERS PLEASE NOTE there is an OVERSEAS (non-UK) SUPPLEMENTARY CHARGE of £5.70. This MUST be added to your final order by tapping the ADD TO CART found in the How to Buy menu. Do not attempt to add this supplement at the final check point. Overseas orders are sent by airmail or the fastest route available.
Landscape Companions in South West England - District Headings.
- The Lizard - Lizard peninsula - Ruan Minor - Cadgwith - St Keverne
- North Cornish Coast - Crackington - Boscastle - Pentire - The Lime Kilns of North Cornwall.
- South Cornwall and Bodmin - Bodmin Moor - St Austell - Geology South East Cornwall.
- North Devon - Hartland Coast - The North-West Devon Coast - Classic Landforms of the North Devon Coast - Cliffs of Hartland Quay - Geology at Hartland Quay - Strawberry Water to Marsland Mouth.
- Westward Ho! - Westward Ho! against the sea - Cliffs of Westward Ho! - Erosion and Management.
- Taw-Torridge Estuary - Braunton Burrows Ecology - Wild flowers - Northam Burrows - Estuary Environments.
- North Devon History - Bucks Mills - Bideford - Barnstaple - Appledore - Westward Ho!
- Exmoor Coast - Hidden Edge of Exmoor - Lynton Valley of Rocks - Lyn in Flood - Cliffs of Saunton
- South Devon and Dartmoor - South West Coast Path (Exmouth to Dartmouth) (Dartmouth to Plymouth) - English Riviera Global Geopark - Exe in Flood - Exeter in Stone - Dawlish Warren and the Sea - Dawlish Warren Ecology Trail - SE Devon (Jurassic Coast) -Dartmoor Landscape (Burrator - Meldon Valley) - Dartmoor Archaeology (Merrivale - Houndtor)
- Jurassic Coast (Dorset and SE Devon) - Coast Guide - Geology - Wildlife - The Undercliff - West Dorset - Studland - Ballard Down - Old Harry Rocks
- Bristol, Somerset, Wiltshire - Bristol - Somerset - Wiltshire
- Gloucestershire and the Cotswolds - Gloucester - Cirencester - Cotswolds - Soudley Valley - Cleeve Hill - Leckhampton Hill - Robinswood Hill - Crickley Hill - Chedworth Valley - South Cerney - Keynes Country Park - Huntsmans Quarry - Foss Quarry - Coates and The Thames & Severn Canal - Chedworth Railway Cutting
- Oxford City - Oxford Walks (The Geology of Oxford Gravestones - Architecture – Medieval walled town - In Flood – Green Places – Ecology in the city – Tolkein and CS Lewis – Alice – Churches –Colleges – High Street – Stained Glass – Science walk Towpath walk in Oxford).
- Oxfordshire - Landscapes -
1. Physical landscape and Oxfordshire Geology Trust - The Geology of Oxfordshire - Faringdon - Kirtlington - Bletchingdon - Oxford City - Stonesfield - Adderbury - White Horse Hill - Burford - Chipping Norton. Churchill Village Trails.
2. History and Landscape - Roman Way - Seven Shires Way - Vale of White Horse - Ginge to Lockinge - Abingdon Turnpike Murder.
- Oxfordshire Groups - Literature - Denchworth - Iffley - Longworth & District - Marcham - Standlake - Stanford-in-the-Vale - Turnpikes & Tolls - Uffington.
- Oxfordshire Groups - Journal contents - Marcham - Stanford-in-the-Vale - Turnpikes - Gardening with Nature
- Oxfordshire - The Golden Ridge - publications - Longworth, Kingston Bagpuize, Southmoor, Hinton Waldrist
- Oxfordshire - The Golden Ridge - history occasional papers (HOPS) - Longworth, Kingston Bagpuize, Southmoor, Hinton Waldrist
- Cities in Stone - Exeter - Bristol - Gloucester - Huddersfield
- Rivers in Flood - Lyn - Exe - Thames at Oxford - Boscastle
- About Us
- Order Form and Contact